Is your web-browser rerouted to Searchnu.com web-page? This problem can be caused due to a hijacker. The hijacker infection is a type of malicious software which is designed to modify your web browsers settings. You may experience any of the following behaviors: your start page, newtab page or search engine is replaced to Searchnu.com, sites load slowly, you see multiple toolbars on the Google Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer which you didn’t install, you get a ton of popup ads.
Table of contents
- What is Searchnu.com
- How to remove Searchnu.com
- How to remove Searchnu.com home page without any software
- Searchnu.com startpage automatic removal
- Run AdBlocker to stop Searchnu.com and stay safe online
- How was Searchnu.com browser hijacker infection installed on system
- Finish words
When you perform a search via Searchnu.com, in addition to search results from Yahoo, Bing or Google Custom Search which provide links to web pages, news articles, images or videos you will also be shown a lot of undesired ads. The makers of Searchnu.com doing this to earn advertising revenue from these advertisements.
Some browser hijackers also contain adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software) which can be used to display intrusive ads and or gather lots of user data that can be sold to third parties. These unwanted advertisements may be opened in the form of pop-unders, pop-ups, in-text advertisements, video ads, text links or banners or even massive full page ads. Most of the adware is made to show ads, but certain adware is form of spyware that often used to track users to gather personal information.
A malicious software that can impose changes to certain settings of internet browsers on Searchnu.com commonly affects only Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge. However, possible situations, when any other internet browsers will be affected too. The Searchnu.com browser hijacker can alter the Target property of browser’s shortcuts, so every time you run the web browser, instead of your homepage, you will see a completely different site.
We recommend you to clean your computer of hijacker infection as soon as possible. Use the step-by-step instructions below that will help to delete Searchnu.com search and adware, that can be installed onto your system along with it.
How to remove Searchnu.com
There are exist several free browser hijacker infection removal utilities. Also it is possible to get rid of Searchnu.com redirect manually. But we recommend to combine all these solutions below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the guidance. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to close your browser or reboot your PC.
How to remove Searchnu.com startpage without any software
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually remove Searchnu.com from the Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and Microsoft Edge.
Removing the Searchnu.com, check the list of installed programs first
First method for manual browser hijacker removal is to go into the MS Windows “Control Panel”, then “Uninstall a program” console. Take a look at the list of applications on your machine and see if there are any suspicious and unknown programs. If you see any, you need to remove them. Of course, before doing so, you can do an World Wide Web search to find details on the program. If it is a potentially unwanted program, adware or malware, you will likely find information that says so.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and press “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will display a list of all software installed on the PC system.
- Scroll through the all list, and remove suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort programs by date.
See more details in the video guide below.
Clean up the internet browsers shortcuts that have been hijacked
Important to know, most antimalware applications which are able to remove browser hijacker infection, but unable to scan for and recover modified shortcuts. So, you need to fix the desktop shortcuts for your Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge web-browsers manually.
Right click on the shortcut of infected browser as shown in the figure below.
Select the “Properties” option and it will open a shortcut’s properties. Next, click the “Shortcut” tab and then delete the “http://site.address” string from Target field as shown on the screen below.
Then click OK to save changes. Repeat the step for all web browsers which are redirected to the Searchnu.com annoying site.
Remove Searchnu.com from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the hijacker infection, harmful and adware extensions, as well as to restore the web-browser’s new tab page, startpage and search provider by default that have been changed by hijacker.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Show advanced settings” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset settings prompt as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of Searchnu.com start page from Mozilla Firefox
First, run the Firefox and click button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web browser. Further, press the Help button () like below
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation prompt. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the Searchnu.com browser hijacker. Once, it’s finished, click the “Finish” button.
Remove Searchnu.com search from Internet Explorer
First, launch the IE, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web browser, then click the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as shown in the figure below.
When the task is done, click “Close” button. Close the Microsoft Internet Explorer and restart your system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser’s new tab page, startpage and search provider by default to default state.
Searchnu.com startpage automatic removal
Manual removal guidance does not always allow to completely get rid of the browser hijacker, as it is not easy to identify and delete components of browser hijacker and all malicious files from hard disk. Therefore, it is recommended that you use malicious software removal tool to completely remove Searchnu.com off your personal computer. Several free malware removal tools are currently available that may be used against the browser hijacker. The optimum method would be to use Zemana Anti-malware, Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner.
Run Zemana Anti-malware to remove browser hijacker infection
Zemana Anti-malware is a tool which can remove ad supported software, potentially unwanted programs, hijackers and other malware from your PC easily and for free. Zemana Anti-malware is compatible with most antivirus software. It works under Windows (10 – XP, 32 and 64 bit) and uses minimum of computer resources.
Download Zemana anti-malware on your PC system from the link below. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: April 20, 2017
Once downloading is complete, close all programs and windows on your machine. Double-click the set up file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as on the image below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” which will help you install Zemana anti malware on your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is done successfully, Zemana anti-malware will automatically start and you can see its main screen as shown on the screen below.
Now click the “Scan” button for checking your machine for the hijacker that redirects your browser to the Searchnu.com annoying web page. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the utility is checking, you can see number of objects and files has already scanned.
When it completes the scan, it will open a list of all items found by this tool. Next, you need to press “Next” button. The Zemana anti-malware will begin removing Searchnu.com hijacker infection and other security threats. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart the PC.
How to automatically get rid of Searchnu.com with Malwarebytes
Remove Searchnu.com browser hijacker manually is difficult and often the hijacker is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your PC system. Moreover, the free program will help you to get rid of malicious software, potentially unwanted programs, toolbars and ad supported software that your system may be infected too.
- Download Malwarebytes (MBAM) from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: May 12, 2017
- Once the download is finished, close all software and windows on your personal computer. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the hijacker infection that cause a redirect to Searchnu.com. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. When a malicious software, adware or PUPs are found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is finished.
- When it has finished scanning, you may check all items detected on your PC. Review the report and then click “Quarantine Selected”. Once disinfection is finished, you can be prompted to reboot your machine.
The following video offers a steps on how to delete browser hijacker with Malwarebytes.
If the problem with Searchnu.com start page is still remained
The AdwCleaner utility is free and easy to use. It may scan and remove hijacker like Searchnu.com, malware, PUPs and adware in FF, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge web-browsers and thereby revert back their default settings (home page, newtab and default search engine). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and get rid of malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the computer.
- Download AdwCleaner from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: May 20, 2017
- Select the directory in which you saved it as Desktop, and then click Save.
- When downloading is done, run the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, click the “Scan” to perform a system scan with this tool for the Searchnu.com hijacker which cause a redirect to Searchnu.com. This task may take some time, so please be patient.
- When it has finished scanning your machine, a list of all items found is produced. Review the report and then press “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to reboot your PC, click “OK”.
The few simple steps shown in detail in the following video.
Run AdBlocker to stop Searchnu.com and stay safe online
Run ad blocking application like AdGuard in order to stop ads, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install harmful and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons that affect your system performance and impact your system security. Surf the Net anonymously and stay safe online!
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- Once downloading is done, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is done, press “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will launch automatically and block pop up advertisements, web pages such Searchnu.com, as well as other harmful or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that may be found on your desktop.
How was Searchnu.com browser hijacker infection installed on system
Now your PC should be clean of the Searchnu.com . Delete AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted pop-up ads and undesired malicious pages) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your computer for new malware, browser hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new browser hijacker, malicious software and ad-supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Searchnu.com home page from your internet browser, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.