If the Chrome, IE, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge displays unwanted congratulations.com-am.info pop-ups then most probably that your PC system is infected with an ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware). The ‘ad supported’ software is an unwanted software that is going to open you lots of popup ads and deals. Of course, it is not a malware or virus in the “general meaning” of this word. It will not delete or damage your files, but it can modify some PC system’s settings or download and install other malicious software. So, you’d better to remove adware using the step-by-step guide below and thereby remove congratulations.com-am.info pop-up ads.
The malicious programs from the adware family that modifies the settings of web-browsers usually affects only the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Edge. However, possible situations, when any other browsers will be affected too. The ‘ad supported’ software may change the Target property of a web-browser’s shortcut, so every time you start the web-browser, instead of your start page, you will see the annoying congratulations.com-am.info advertisements.
Technically, the adware is not a virus, but it does bad things, it generates lots of pop-up ads, hindering or completely blocking the work in the web-browser. It may install other unknown and unwanted applications without your permission, force you to visit malicious sites. Moreover, the ad-supported software can download and install browser hijacker. Once installed, it’ll replace your startpage with an unwanted web-page.
Therefore it is very important to follow the instructions below as quickly as possible. The steps will assist you to remove adware as well as clean your PC from the congratulations.com-am.info redirect. What is more, the instructions below will help you remove other dangerous software like unwanted toolbars and browser hijackers, which could penetrate the computer along with the ‘ad supported’ software.
How can you protect your PC from congratulations.com-am.info popup ads
How to manually remove congratulations.com-am.info pop-up ads
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will allow you manually get rid of congratulations.com-am.info from the Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and MS Edge.
- Remove suspicious and unknown programs by using Windows Control Panel
- Delete congratulations.com-am.info redirect from Firefox
- Get rid of congratulations.com-am.info from Chrome
- Remove congratulations.com-am.info pop-up ads from IE
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove congratulations.com-am.info redirect
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Remove suspicious and unknown programs by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel as shown in the figure below.
Next, click “Uninstall a program”
It’ll show a list of all software. Scroll through the all list and delete any suspicious and unknown programs.
Delete congratulations.com-am.info redirect from Firefox
If the Firefox settings have been changed by the adware, then resetting it to the default state can help you to delete the redirect onto congratulations.com-am.info web page.
First, start the Firefox and click button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the internet browser. Next, click the Help button () as on the image below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web-browser address bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown in the figure below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation prompt, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The FF will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the ad-supported software. Once it’s complete, press the “Finish” button
Get rid of congratulations.com-am.info from Chrome
Like other modern web-browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby get rid of the redirect to congratulations.com-am.info unwanted ads which is caused by the ad supported software.
At first, run the Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will appear the main menu. Click on the option named “Settings”. Another way to show the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the web-browser adress bar and press Enter.
The web-browser will show the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as shown below and click the “Reset settings” button.
The Google Chrome will open the confirmation prompt. You need to confirm your action, press the “Reset” button. The program will launch the procedure of cleaning. When it is finished, the internet browser settings including the ‘block pop-ups’ option back to the values that have been when the Google Chrome was first installed on your personal computer.
Remove congratulations.com-am.info pop-up ads from IE
First, start the IE, then press the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu like below. Next, click the “Internet Options”.
In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown in the figure below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press on “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove congratulations.com-am.info redirect
Once the adware is started, it can also modify the web-browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument such as “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you start the internet browser, it will be redirected to an unwanted advertisements.
To clear the browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that begins with “http://” that has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your web-browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the annoying congratulations.com-am.info site opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and delete all the tasks that have been created by adware.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard simultaneously. This displays a dialog box that titled with Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as on the image below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your machine. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address”, then you need delete it. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it’s a component of the ‘ad-supported’ software, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to remove, then press on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown in the figure below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by malicious applications. Once is complete, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to get rid of congratulations.com-am.info redirect automatically
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free. You can download and install this tool to detect congratulations.com-am.info threat and get rid of it, from the link below. When installed and updated, the free malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the computer.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
Once installed, the Malwarebytes will try to update itself and when this procedure is complete, press “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan for the adware and malware. During the scan it will detect all threats present on your computer. In order to delete all threats, simply press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes is a free program that you can use to remove all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about the Malwarebytes, we recommend you to read and follow the step-by-step instructions or the video guide below.
How to stop congratulations.com-am.info advertisements
To increase your security and protect your system against new unwanted ads and malicious pages, you need to use an application that blocks access to malicious ads and sites. Moreover, the application can block the open of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web-sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
- When the download is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” window. Follow the prompts.
- When the setup is done, click “Skip” to close it and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see a quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your PC, AdGuard will run automatically and stop pop-up ads, congratulations.com-am.info redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your Windows desktop.
If the problem with congratulations.com-am.info pop-ups is still remained
If MalwareBytes cannot remove congratulations.com-am.info advertisements, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2018
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once the utility is started the main screen will appear as shown on the image above.
- Now, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the ‘ad supported’ software which generates congratulations.com-am.info ads.
- When the system scan is complete, AdwCleaner will display a scan report. Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will display a prompt, click “OK” button.
The following video explains the step-by-step guide above on how to delete ad supported software with AdwCleaner.
After completing the steps above, your personal computer should be clean from malware and adware. The Chrome, FF, Edge and Internet Explorer will no longer display congratulations.com-am.info unwanted popup ads and redirect you to unknown web-pages. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new type of ad supported software, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- When the system scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the unwanted congratulations.com-am.info pop-ups.