Are you seeing Search.yahoo.com startpage in the Google Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge and Internet Explorer every time you start the web-browser? This means that your web-browser is infected by browser hijacker that changes web-browsers settings. Currently, this browser hijacker infection are widely spread, due to the fact that most people are trying to find free programs, download and install them on the system without proper attention to the fact that the hijacker can penetrate into the computer along with them.
A malware that changes web browsers settings on Search.yahoo.com usually affects only Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, MS Edge and Internet Explorer. However, possible situations, when any other web-browsers will be affected too. The Search.yahoo.com browser hijacker infection can alter the Target property of browser’s shortcuts, so every time you open the browser, instead of your homepage, you will see a completely different web site.
Table of contents
- What is Search.yahoo.com
- How to delete Search.yahoo.com redirect
- Manual Search.yahoo.com removal
- Delete suspicious and potentially unwanted applications using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the web browser’s shortcuts to remove Search.yahoo.com redirect
- Remove Search.yahoo.com search from Google Chrome
- Delete Search.yahoo.com from Firefox by resetting internet browser settings
- Remove Search.yahoo.com home page from Internet Explorer
- Scan your PC and remove Search.yahoo.com with free utilities
- Manual Search.yahoo.com removal
- How to stop Search.yahoo.com home page
- How did Search.yahoo.com hijacker get on your system
- Finish words
As mentioned above, the Search.yahoo.com hijacker also alters the web-browser’s search engine. So, your browser, when searching something, will show a hodgepodge of advertisements, links to unwanted and ad web sites and search results of a big search engines such as Google or Bing. As a result, actual use of a web browser’s search becomes uncomfortable. Moreover, it can also lead to slowing or even freeze your browser.
Some browser hijackers also contain adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software) which can be used to display unwanted advertisements and or gather personal information that may be sold to third parties. These unwanted ads can be displayed as pop-unders, pop-ups, in-text advertisements, video ads, text links or banners or even massive full page ads. Most of the adware is developed to show ads, but some adware is form of spyware that often used to track users to collect lots of personal info.
We suggest you to free your machine of browser hijacker infection as quickly as possible. Use the few simple steps below that will allow to get rid of Search.yahoo.com and ‘ad-supported’ program, which can be installed onto your computer along with it.
How to delete Search.yahoo.com redirect
The following guide will help you to remove Search.yahoo.com search from the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. Moreover, the step by step tutorial below will allow you to delete malware such as PUPs, ‘ad supported’ software and toolbars that your computer may be infected. Please do the tutorial step by step. If you need a help or have any questions, then ask for our assistance or type a comment below.
Manual Search.yahoo.com homepage removal
The few simple steps will help you remove Search.yahoo.com redirect. These Search.yahoo.com removal steps work for the Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, as well as every version of Microsoft Windows operating system. Some of the steps may require you to close the browser or reboot your system. So, bookmark or print it for later reference.
Delete suspicious and potentially unwanted applications using Windows Control Panel
Some potentially unwanted software, browser hijacking applications and adware may be removed by uninstalling the free applications they came with. If this way does not succeed, then looking them up in the list of installed programs in MS Windows Control Panel. Use the “Uninstall” command in order to delete them.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel like below.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will show a list of all software installed on your computer. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown software.
Disinfect the web browser’s shortcuts to remove Search.yahoo.com redirect
Unfortunately, the browser hijacker infection can also hijack Windows shortcuts (mostly, your web-browsers shortcuts}), so that the Search.yahoo.com startpage will be shown when you start the Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and MS Edge or another browser.
Right click to a desktop shortcut for your web browser. Choose the “Properties” option. It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The hijacker can change it. If you are seeing something such as “…exe http://site.address” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the internet browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example as shown below.
Once is complete, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for internet browser shortcuts which redirects to an unwanted web-pages. When you have completed, go to next step.
Remove Search.yahoo.com search from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to delete the browser hijacker, malicious and adware extensions, as well as to restore the web browser’s startpage, new tab page and search engine by default that have been replaced by hijacker infection.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is done, your web-browser’s startpage, new tab and search engine by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Delete Search.yahoo.com from Firefox by resetting internet browser settings
If your Mozilla Firefox browser startpage has modified to Search.yahoo.com without your permission or a an unknown search engine opens results for your search, then it may be time to perform the internet browser reset.
First, start the FF. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the drop-down menu. Next, press the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown in the figure below.
Confirm your action, press the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Search.yahoo.com startpage from Internet Explorer
By resetting Internet Explorer web-browser you revert back your internet browser settings to its default state. This is good initial when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by browser hijacker like Search.yahoo.com.
First, launch the Internet Explorer, click ) button. Next, press “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the Reset Internet Explorer settings dialog box. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and press Reset button.
You will now need to restart your machine for the changes to take effect. It will get rid of Search.yahoo.com browser hijacker, disable malicious and ad-supported web-browser’s extensions and restore the IE’s settings such as newtab, startpage and search engine by default to default state.
Scan your PC and remove Search.yahoo.com with free utilities
If your PC system is still infected with the Search.yahoo.com hijacker, then the best method of detection and removal is to run an anti malware scan on the PC system. Download free malware removal utilities below and start a full system scan. It will help you get rid of all components of the browser hijacker infection from hardisk and Windows registry.
Automatically delete Search.yahoo.com startpage with Zemana Anti-malware
We recommend you to use the Zemana Anti-malware that are completely clean your personal computer. Moreover, the tool will allow you to get rid of potentially unwanted software, malicious software, toolbars and ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) that your computer can be infected too.
Download Zemana anti malware on your computer from the link below. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
Once the downloading process is complete, close all applications and windows on your computer. Double-click the set up file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as shown in the figure below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” which will help you install Zemana antimalware on your personal computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is done successfully, Zemana anti-malware will automatically start and you can see its main screen as shown below.
Now press the “Scan” button for scanning your PC system for the hijacker infection . A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your machine and the speed of your PC system. When a malware, adware or PUPs are found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is finished.
Once the scanning is finished, you’ll be opened the list of all found items on your computer. When you are ready, click “Next” button. The Zemana anti-malware will begin removing Search.yahoo.com hijacker and other security threats. Once disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
How to remove Search.yahoo.com with Malwarebytes
You can remove Search.yahoo.com automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We recommend this free malware removal tool because it can easily get rid of browser hijackers, adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software), PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will show the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once downloading is done, please close all applications and open windows on your PC. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Malwarebytes onto your machine. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Malwarebytes will start and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button . This will start scanning the whole PC to find out browser hijacker and other malicious software and ad supported software. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your PC and the speed of your system. While the application is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- When the system scan is done, it’ll open you the results.
- Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and click the “Quarantine Selected” button to start cleaning your PC system. Once the process is done, you may be prompted to reboot the PC system.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Run AdwCleaner to remove Search.yahoo.com from the machine
The AdwCleaner utility is free and easy to use. It can scan and delete browser hijacker like Search.yahoo.com, malicious software, potentially unwanted applications and ‘ad supported’ software in Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer web-browsers and thereby return their default settings (newtab, start page and search engine by default). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and delete malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the PC.
Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: January 25, 2019
Once downloading is complete, open the file location. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the AdwCleaner desktop icon. Once the utility is started, you will see a screen like below.
Further, press “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole computer to find out Search.yahoo.com browser hijacker and web browser’s malicious extensions. This process can take some time, so please be patient. Once the checking is finished, it will open a list of detected threats as on the image below.
Review the scan results and then click “Clean” button. It will display a dialog box as on the image below.
You need to click “OK”. When the clean up is complete, the AdwCleaner may ask you to restart your machine. When your computer is started, you will see an AdwCleaner log.
These steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
How to stop Search.yahoo.com start page
In order to increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying ads and harmful web-sites, you need to run ad-blocking program that stops an access to malicious ads and sites. Moreover, the application can stop the show of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web-pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After the download is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen like below.
Follow the prompts. Once the install is finished, you will see a window as shown on the image below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you run your PC system, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop popup advertisements, web-sites such Search.yahoo.com, as well as other harmful or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your desktop.
How did Search.yahoo.com hijacker get on your system
Once you have done the instructions shown above, your computer should be clean from malware and browser hijackers. The Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and MS Edge will no longer display Search.yahoo.com annoying start page on startup. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next press “Do a system scan only” button.
- When it completes the scan, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the annoying Search.yahoo.com .