There are many types of malware and one of them is adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software). The adware, which causes the appearance of SpeeDownloader pop-up ads, have a negative impact on the functioning of your personal computer. It changes PC system settings, generates lots of various ads, slows down the Google Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer and the speed of your internet connection. Moreover, it may lead to the fact that web pages are slow to load and the browser interface can even freeze. The main function of the ‘ad supported’ software is showing advertisements, so it may redirect your web-browser to unwanted ad pages, instead of the one that you want to visit. Even if you try to type an address into the browser’s address bar, then the browser is anyway will display an unwanted ad web-site.
Most often, the ad-supported software affects the most common internet browsers like the Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. But such the dangerous software as well may infect another browsers by changing its shortcuts (adding an argument like ‘http://site.address’ into Target field of a web browser’s shortcut). So every time you open the browser, it’ll redirect to the unwanted SpeeDownloader ads. Even if you setup a new startpage, an annoying web-page will be the first thing you see when you run the Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.
The adware is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, modifies web-browser settings and blocks them from changing. Also the ‘ad supported’ software can install additional web browser extensions, addons and modules that will inject advertising banners within the Chrome, Internet Explorer, FF and Microsoft Edge’s screen. Moreover, the adware may install web-browser hijacker that once started, will alter the web browser’s start page and search engine. And finally, the ad-supported software can collect a wide variety of personal information such as what web pages you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This information, in the future, may be transferred to third parties.
So, obviously, you need to remove the adware as quickly as possible. Use the free steps below. This guide will help you clean your system and thereby get rid of the SpeeDownloader annoying popup ads.
How did SpeeDownloader advertisements get on your machine
How to manually remove SpeeDownloader ads
This step-by-step instructions will allow you remove SpeeDownloader pop-up ads. These SpeeDownloader adware removal steps work for the Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and MS Edge, as well as every version of Windows operating system. Some of the steps may require you to close the web browser or restart your PC system. So, bookmark or print it for later reference.
- Remove suspicious and unknown applications by using Windows Control Panel
- Get rid of SpeeDownloader pop-ups from Mozilla Firefox
- Get rid of SpeeDownloader ads from Chrome
- Remove Ads by SpeeDownloader from IE
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Remove suspicious and unknown applications by using Windows Control Panel
The best way to begin the personal computer cleanup is to delete unknown and suspicious programs. Using the Windows Control Panel you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, because the removing of unneeded programs can clean up your browser from ads, hijackers and so on.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows key, click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will open the Windows Control Panel.
- Click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- You will see a list of all installed programs.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall suspicious and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort software by date.
See more details in the video instructions below.
Get rid of SpeeDownloader pop-ups from Mozilla Firefox
First, launch the Mozilla Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will show the drop-down menu. Next, press the “Help” button ().
In the Help menu, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page, click “Refresh Firefox” button.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Get rid of SpeeDownloader ads from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a easy way to delete the malware and ad supported software, as well as to restore the internet browser’s settings that have been replaced by adware.
- Now run the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next, click the “Reset” button.
- When this process is done, your web browser’s settings will be restored to their original defaults. This will reset your homepage, new tab page and search engine by default.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove Ads by SpeeDownloader redirect from IE
To remove the SpeeDownloader ads you need to reset the IE to the state, that was when the Windows was installed on your machine.
First, start the IE, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will open the drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then click the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, you need to select the “Advanced” tab and click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt as shown below. Next, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. After that, click the “Reset” button.
Once the process is complete, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and reboot your personal computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser’s settings to default state and disable ‘ad-supported’ extensions.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
When the adware is started, it can also modify the web browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument like “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you open the web-browser, it will be redirected to an annoying ads.
To clear the web browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that begins with “http://” which has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your internet browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the annoying SpeeDownloader ads opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and delete all the tasks that have been created by ‘ad-supported’ application.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard together. This opens a dialog box that titled with Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, press “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown in the figure below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your machine. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address”, then you need get rid of it. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it is a component of the adware, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to get rid of, then click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the image below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by ‘ad-supported’ program. Once is done, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to remove SpeeDownloader with free malware remover
Delete SpeeDownloader advertisements manually is difficult and often the ad supported software is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the Malwarebytes Free which are completely clean your system. Moreover, the free application will help you to get rid of malware, web browser hijacker and toolbars that your machine may be infected too.
- Download Malwarebytes by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
- Close all programs and windows on your personal computer. Open the directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will run the installation of Malwarebytes. Next, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- When installation is complete, click on the “Scan Now” button for scanning your PC for the adware that opens unwanted SpeeDownloader ads within your browser. This process can take some time, so please be patient.
- When it has finished scanning your machine, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Quarantine Selected”. Once the disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot your PC system.
These steps above are shown in detail in the following video guide.
Block SpeeDownloader pop-up ads and other unwanted web pages
To increase your security and protect your personal computer against new unwanted advertisements and malicious sites, you need to use program that blocks access to harmful advertisements and pages. Moreover, the program can block the show of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After downloading is complete, start the file named adguardInstaller. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen like below.
Follow the prompts. Once the installation is finished, you will see a window as shown in the figure below.
You can click “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop ads, ads by SpeeDownloader, as well as other malicious or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your Windows desktop.
If the problem with SpeeDownloader ads is still remained
If MalwareBytes cannot remove SpeeDownloader advertisements, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: January 25, 2019
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once the utility is opened the main screen will appear as shown on the image above.
- Now, click the “Scan” button to begin scanning your PC for the ad-supported software that generates SpeeDownloader advertisements.
- When it has finished scanning your PC, AdwCleaner will show a scan report. Review the report and then press “Clean” button. It will show a dialog box, click “OK” button.
The following video explains the step-by-step guide above on how to remove adware with AdwCleaner.
Now your computer should be free of the SpeeDownloader adware. Remove AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-up ads and unwanted dangerous web sites) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your computer for new malware and ‘ad supported’ software). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove SpeeDownloader popups from your PC, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.