The selfsrver.com is a site that may be loaded into your web-browser with the help of ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware). The adware can alter the settings of browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and MS Edge or install a dangerous browser extension, which created to generate a ton of unwanted pop-up ads. It’ll lead to the fact that when you launch the internet browser or surfing the World Wide Web, it will always be forced to display selfsrver.com pop-ups, even when your web browser is configured to stop pop-ups or your computer has a program that blocks pop-up ads. On current date, the ad supported software continues to increase the number of systems that have been infected.
Most often, the adware affects the most common web-browsers such as the FF, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. But such the dangerous software as well may infect another internet browsers by changing its shortcuts (adding an argument like ‘http://site.address’ into Target field of a browser’s shortcut). So every time you run the web-browser, it’ll reroute to the annoying selfsrver.com web-page. Even if you setup a new home page, an unwanted web page will be the first thing you see when you launch the Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, IE and Edge.
Technically, the ‘ad-supported’ software is not a virus, but it does bad things, it generates a large amount of advertisements, hindering or completely blocking the work in the browser. It may install other unknown and unwanted software without your permission, force you to visit dangerous sites. Moreover, a browser hijacker can be additionally installed on to your computer with the adware. Once installed, it will replace your startpage with an unwanted web site.
Therefore it is very important to follow the instructions below as soon as possible. The steps will assist you to delete adware as well as clean your computer from the selfsrver.com pop-up ads. What is more, the step-by-step guide below will help you get rid of other malicious software like unwanted toolbars and browser hijackers, which could penetrate the computer along with the ‘ad-supported’ software.
How does selfsrver.com ads get installed onto system
How to manually remove selfsrver.com redirect
This useful removal guide for the selfsrver.com pop-up ads. The detailed procedure can be followed by anyone as it really does take you step-by-step. If you follow this process to delete selfsrver.com ads let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
- Delete suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of selfsrver.com redirect
- Remove selfsrver.com pop-ups from FF
- Get rid of selfsrver.com advertisements from Google Chrome
- Get rid of selfsrver.com ads from IE
- Get rid of unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Delete suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
First, you should try to identify and remove the program that causes the appearance of unwanted advertisements and web browser redirect to unwanted web-sites, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of selfsrver.com redirect
When the adware is started, it can also change the internet browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument like “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you launch the web-browser, it will be redirected to an unwanted ads.
To clear the web browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that begins with “http://” that has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, press the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove selfsrver.com pop-ups from FF
If the FF settings have been replaced by the adware, then resetting it to the default state can help you to get rid of the redirect onto selfsrver.com web-page.
First, launch the FF and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web-browser. Next, click the Help button () like below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser address bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation dialog box, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The FF will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the ad-supported software. Once it’s done, press the “Finish” button
Get rid of selfsrver.com advertisements from Google Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to get rid of the malware and adware, as well as to restore the web browser’s settings that have been replaced by ‘ad-supported’ software.
- Now start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next, click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is finished, your web-browser’s settings will be restored to their original defaults. This will reset your homepage and search engine by default.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of selfsrver.com ads from IE
First, start the Internet Explorer, then click button. Next, click “Internet Options” as shown in the figure below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, press the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer” settings dialog box. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and press Reset button.
You will now need to reboot your system for the changes to take effect. It will restore the Microsoft Internet Explorer’s settings such as homepage, new tab and default search engine to default state, disable ad-supported browser’s extensions and thereby delete the redirect to selfsrver.com annoying web-site.
Get rid of unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the annoying selfsrver.com page opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and get rid of all the tasks that have been created by adware.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard together. This shows a dialog box that called Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown in the figure below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be display just below automatically. Next, press the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your PC. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address”, then you need remove it. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it’s a component of the adware, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to remove, then click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete like below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by adware. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to delete selfsrver.com automatically
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free. You can download and install this tool to detect selfsrver.com threat and remove it, from the link below. When installed and updated, the free malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the computer.
Category: Security tools
Update: January 25, 2017
Once installed, the Malwarebytes will try to update itself and when this process is complete, press “Scan Now” button for scanning your system for the ad-supported software and malware. During the scan it will detect all threats present on your PC. In order to remove all threats, simply click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes is a free program that you can use to remove all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about the Malwarebytes, we recommend you to read and follow the step-by-step instructions or the video guide below.
How to block selfsrver.com redirect
To increase your security and protect your machine against new unwanted ads and malicious sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to malicious ads and pages. Moreover, the program can block the open of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard application from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: August 16, 2016
- Once the downloading process is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is done, click “Skip” to close it and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see a quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your system, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-ups, selfsrver.com redirects, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your Windows desktop.
Remove selfsrver.com advertisements and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner.
If MalwareBytes cannot remove the unwanted selfsrver.com redirect from the Chrome, Internet Explorer, FF and MS Edge, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs and toolbars.
Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: January 28, 2017
After the download is done, open the file location. Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, you will see a screen such as below.
Now, click the “Scan” button for checking your computer for the malicious extensions and ‘ad-supported’ software that opens ads from selfsrver.com site. Once the scan is complete, it will show a scan report as shown below.
Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will show a prompt. Click “OK”. Once the cleaning procedure is done, AdwCleaner may ask you to restart your computer.
Look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the AdwCleaner to get rid of adware, browser hijackers and other malicious programs.
Once you have done the instructions shown above, your computer should be clean from malware and ad-supported software. The Chrome, IE, Firefox and Edge will no longer display selfsrver.com annoying pop-up ads and redirect you to unknown web sites. Unfortunately, if the instructions does not help you, then you have caught a new type of adware, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- When the system scan is done, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the unwanted selfsrver.com redirect.