If Avast antivirus detects Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] then it indicates that your computer is infected with a previously unknown adware. This unwanted software usually come with some freeware or from malicious websites that ask users to download and run a Flash Player or Java update.
Once started, the Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] will be configured to start automatically when Windows starts. The adware can show large number of unwanted ads on all web-sites, including web pages where previously you ads have never seen. These advertisements can be varied: pop-up windows, boxes, in-text ads, different sized banners and so on. What is more, the Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] can cause your Internet connection to be slow or freeze your browser so that the interface is not updated anymore.
The malicious programs from the ad supported software family that alters the settings of internet browsers usually affects only the Chrome, FF, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. However, possible situations, when any other internet browsers will be affected too. The ad supported software may change the Target property of a web-browser’s shortcut, so every time you start the web-browser, instead of your home page, you will see an unwanted ad website.
Technically, the ad-supported software is not a virus, but it does bad things, it generates a huge number of pop-up ads, hindering or completely blocking the work in the web browser. It may install other unknown and unwanted software without your permission, force you to visit malicious sites.
We recommend to remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw], as soon as you found this problem, as it can direct you to web-resources which may load other malicious software on your computer. Follow the step-by-step guide below which will help to get rid of adware and other malicious software for free.
How does Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] get installed onto computer
How to remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw]
Without a doubt, the ‘ad-supported’ software is harmful to your PC system. So you need to quickly and completely get rid of this dangerous software. To remove the adware, you can use the guide which given below, that will allow you to delete Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] easily and safely.
- Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Scan your computer with MalwareBytes Anti-malware
- Scan your computer with AdwCleaner
- Scan your computer with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
- Disinfect browser’s shortcuts
- Reset web-browser’s settings
- Protect your computer from annoying ads and malicious sites
Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It’ll open the Windows Control Panel as shown below.
Next, press “Uninstall a program” It will display a list of all applications. Scroll through the all list and remove any suspicious and unknown applications.
Scan your computer with MalwareBytes Anti-malware
We recommend to use the Malwarebytes Free which are completely clean your PC. It is an advanced malware removal program developed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti-malware technology. It’s able to help you remove browser hijackers, malware, adware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your personal computer for free.
Now, click the link below to download Malwarebytes Free on your system. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 9, 2017
After downloading is done, close all programs on your PC. Next, run the setup file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown on the screen below, click the Yes button.
It will display the “Setup wizard” that will help you install Malwarebytes on your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is complete successfully, click Finish button. Then Malwarebytes will automatically start and you can see its main screen as shown on the screen below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button for checking your computer for the ad-supported software. Once the adware or malware is found, the number of the detected objects will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is complete. Please be patient.
Once the scan is finished, you can check all threats detected on your PC system. Make sure all entries have “checkmark” and press “Quarantine Selected” button. The Malwarebytes will begin removing Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] and other malicious software. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot your PC system.
I suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the Malwarebytes program to remove adware and other malware.
Scan your computer with AdwCleaner
If MalwareBytes cannot remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw], then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars.
- Download AdwCleaner using the link below. AdwCleaner download
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: February 8, 2018
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once the tool is started the main screen will appear as shown on the image above.
- Now, click the “Scan” button for checking your machine for the Win32:Adware-gen [Adw].
- Once the system scan is done, AdwCleaner will display a scan report. Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will display a dialog box, click “OK” button.
The following video explains the step-by-step instructions above on how to remove ad-supported software with AdwCleaner.
Scan your computer with Kaspersky virus removal tool
Kaspersky virus removal tool is a well-known free security tool. It uses the Kaspersky Anti-Virus engine to detect and remove viruses, trojans and malware.
- Download Kaspersky virus removal tool from the following link and save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Kaspersky virus removal tool
Author: Kaspersky® lab
Category: Security tools
Update: November 3, 2015
- Double-click on the KVRT icon found on your desktop. Once initialization process is finished, you will see the Kaspersky virus removal tool screen.
- Click Change Parameters and set a check near all your drives. Click OK to close the Parameters window.
- Press Start scan button. Kaspersky virus removal tool will now start scanning your computer for known infections. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
- When KVRT has finished scanning, click on Continue to start a cleaning process.
Disinfect browser’s shortcuts
The Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] may also change a desktop shortcut for Chrome, Firefox and IE. Due to this, every time you start the browser, it will open an unwanted web-site.
To clear a browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the text is removed, press the OK button. You need to clean all desktop shortcuts for all web-browsers, as they may be infected too.
Reset web-browser’s settings
At first, start the Chrome. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will appear the main menu. Click on the option named “Settings”. Another way to open the Google Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter.
The web browser will display the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as shown below and click the “Reset settings” button.
The Google Chrome will display the confirmation prompt. You need to confirm your action, press the “Reset” button. The application will launch the procedure of cleaning. Once it is finished, the internet browser settings including the ‘block pop-ups’ option back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your personal computer.
In the Help menu click on the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on Refresh Firefox button.
Confirm your action. Click on the Refresh Firefox.
In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings window. Select the Delete personal settings check box, then click on Reset button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Protect your computer from annoying ads and malicious sites
To increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying ads and malicious web sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous ads and web-pages. Moreover, the software can block the display of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of websites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program using the following link.Adguard download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2017
- After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the Setup Wizard program window. Follow the prompts.
- After installation is complete, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block unwanted pop-ups, annoying ads, as well as other malicious or misleading web page. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
After completing the step-by-step instructions above, your computer should be clean from Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] virus and other adware. The FF, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and MS Edge will no longer show unwanted popup ads and redirect you to unknown web pages. Unfortunately, if the guide does not help you, then you have caught a new type of adware, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis by clicking on the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- When it has finished scanning, the scan button will read “Save log”, press it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with Win32:Adware-gen [Adw].