The appearance of Safer Search Results Ads in your browser means that your computer is infected with ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware), which can show lots of ads within the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge screen or reroute you to unwanted ads sites. These ads can be varied: boxes signed with “Safer Search Results Ads” or “Powered by Safer Search Results” or “Brought to you by Safer Search Results” or “Ads by Safer Search Results”, in-text ads, different sized banners, pop-ups, warnings with message that you need to update a flash player, your antivirus or install an questionable software. So, if you have found that your web-browser is redirected to an unknown ads web-page or become to open a large amount of advertisements, then you do not need to wait . Follow the guide below to clean your PC system from the ad supported software and thereby get rid of “Safer Search Results” popup ads as quickly as possible.
The ‘ad-supported’ software can change the settings of the Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge, but often that a malicious software like this can also infect all types of web-browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user each time launch the browser to see “Safer Search Results” unwanted advertisements.
The adware is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, changes browser settings and blocks them from changing. Also the ad-supported software can install additional browser extensions, addons and modules that will inject advertising links within the Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge’s screen. Moreover, the ad supported software may install a browser hijacker that once started, will alter the web-browser’s home page and search engine. And finally, the adware can collect a wide variety of personal information such as what pages you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This information, in the future, may be transferred to third parties.
We suggest you to delete ‘ad-supported’ software and clean your computer from “Safer Search Results” popup ads as soon as possible, until the presence of the ad supported software has not led to even worse consequences. You need to follow the instructions below that will allow you to completely remove the redirect to “Safer Search Results” unwanted web-page, using only the built-in Windows features and a few of specialized free tools.
How does “Safer Search Results” ads get installed onto PC
How to manually remove “Safer Search Results” ads
The simple answer is right here on this page. We have put together simplicity and efficiency. It will allow you easily to clean your PC of ad-supported software. Moreover, you can choose manual or automatic removal method. If you are familiar with the personal computer then use manual removal, otherwise use the free anti-malware tool designed specifically to remove adware that causes unwanted “Safer Search Results” . Of course, you can combine both methods. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to close your internet browser or reboot your PC.
- Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
- Get rid of “Safer Search Results” ads in Firefox
- Get rid of “Safer Search Results” in Chrome
- Delete Safer Search Results ads from Internet Explorer
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel as shown on the image below.
Next, click “Uninstall a program” It will display a list of all applications. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown software.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
Once the ‘ad-supported’ software is started, it can also change the browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument similar “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you start the internet browser, it will be redirected to an annoying advertisements.
To clear the browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that begins with “http://” that has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your browsers, as they may be infected too.
Get rid of “Safer Search Results” ads in Firefox
First, run the FF. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the drop-down menu. Next, press the “Help” button ().
In the Help menu, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page, click “Refresh Firefox” button.
Confirm your action, press the “Refresh Firefox”.
Get rid of “Safer Search Results” in Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the malware and ad-supported software, as well as to restore the internet browser’s settings that have been modified by adware.
- Now start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next, click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is complete, your browser’s settings will be restored to their original defaults. This will reset your homepage, new tab and default search engine.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Delete Safer Search Results ads from Internet Explorer
To get rid of the “Safer Search Results” popup ads you need to reset the IE to the state, that was when the Windows was installed on your system.
First, launch the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will show the drop-down menu on the right part of the browser, then press the “Internet Options” as shown below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, you need to select the “Advanced” tab and press the “Reset” button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt as shown on the image below. Next, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. After that, click the “Reset” button.
When the task is finished, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and reboot your system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser’s settings to default state and disable ‘ad-supported’ extensions.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the annoying “Safer Search Results” web page opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and uninstall all the tasks that have been created by malicious programs.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard together. This opens a prompt that called Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, press “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown in the figure below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be display just below automatically. Next, press the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your PC. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address” (look at the example above), then you need remove it. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it is a component of the ‘ad-supported’ software, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to delete, then click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the image below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by adware. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to delete Safer Search Results ads automatically
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free. You can download and install this tool to detect “Safer Search Results” threat and uninstall it, using the link below. When installed and updated, the free malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the computer.
Category: Security tools
Update: August 31, 2017
Once installed, the Malwarebytes will try to update itself and when this procedure is done, press “Scan Now” button for checking your PC system for the adware and malware. During the scan it will detect all threats present on your computer. In order to remove all threats, simply click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes is a free application that you can use to uninstall all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about the Malwarebytes, we recommend you to read and follow the instructions or the video guide below.
How to stop “Safer Search Results”
To increase your security and protect your personal computer against new annoying ads and malicious web-pages, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous ads and web-pages. Moreover, the program can block the display of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web-pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- When downloading is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close it and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see a quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block popup ads, as well as other dangerous or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your Windows desktop.
Remove “Safer Search Results” ads and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner.
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot delete the annoying “Safer Search Results” ads from the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for ad-supported software, browser hijackers, PUPs and toolbars.
Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: August 29, 2017
After the download is finished, open the file location. Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this utility is opened, you will see a screen such as below.
Now, click the “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole PC system to find out malicious extensions and ad supported software which displays “Safer Search Results” ads. When it has finished scanning, it will display a scan report as shown below.
Review the report and then press “Clean” button. It will show a prompt. Click “OK”. When the clean up is finished, AdwCleaner may ask you to reboot your PC system.
Look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the AdwCleaner to remove adware, browser hijackers and other malicious programs.
After completing the step-by-step guide shown above, your PC system should be clean from malware and ad supported software. The Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge will no longer open “Safer Search Results” unwanted advertisements and redirect you to unknown web-pages. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new type of adware, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- Once the scan is done, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the annoying Safer Search Results ads.