Search.myprivacyswitch.com is a browser hijacker. It is a type of dangerous applications. Unlike viruses, it will not delete or infect your files, but its actions will cause some problems with your browser. This is because, it will infect your computer, get full access to your web-browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge and be able to change their settings. Of course, it did not ask you for permission and do it secretly as possible. Once your browser settings will be modified, you will be rerouted to unwanted sites completely, some of which can be dangerous or misleading pages. For this reason, we recommend that you get rid of it ASAP and thereby restore your favorite startpage and search engine.
A malicious software that modifies the settings of internet browsers on Search.myprivacyswitch.com homepage usually affects only Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. However, possible situations, when any other web-browsers will be affected too. The Search.myprivacyswitch.com browser hijacker may change the Target property of web-browser’s shortcuts, so every time you start the internet browser, instead of your homepage, you will see a completely different web-site.
Except that the Search.myprivacyswitch.com changes browser’s home page, it also replaces a search engine, which leads to the fact that use of the browser’s search becomes impossible. The reason for this is that the search results will consist of tons of advertisements, links to malicious and misleading sites and only the remaining part is search results for your query from the other, well-known search engines such as Google or Bing.
Also on the computer together with Search.myprivacyswitch.com hijacker can be installed adware, which will insert a huge number of advertisements directly to the web pages that you view, creating a sense that advertising links has been added by the creators of the web-site. Moreover, a legal ads may be replaced on the fake advertising links, that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and harmful software. Moreover, the Search.myprivacyswitch.com browser hijacker infection has the ability to collect a large number of personal information about you, which can later transfer to third parties.
How did you get infected with Search.myprivacyswitch.com browser hijacker
How to manually remove Search.myprivacyswitch.com
If you perform exactly the instructions below you should be able to remove the Search.myprivacyswitch.com search. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to close your browser or reboot your system.
- Delete Search.myprivacyswitch.com associated software by using Windows Control Panel
- Remove Search.myprivacyswitch.com from Chrome
- Uninstall Search.myprivacyswitch.com startpage from Firefox
- Remove Search.myprivacyswitch.com from Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to delete Search.myprivacyswitch.com
Delete Search.myprivacyswitch.com associated software by using Windows Control Panel
First, you should try to identify and uninstall the program that causes the appearance of annoying advertising or browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Remove Search.myprivacyswitch.com from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to delete the malicious and ad-supported extensions, as well as to restore the internet browser’s home page, newtab page and search provider by default that have been changed by hijacker.
- Open the Chrome and click on the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Show advanced settings” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the Advanced settings page, click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset settings box as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the web-browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Uninstall Search.myprivacyswitch.com startpage from Firefox
First, start the Mozilla Firefox. Open the main menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button (). In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page press on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the image below. Confirm your action. Click on the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Search.myprivacyswitch.com from Microsoft Internet Explorer
To restore the start page and search provider by default you need to reset the Microsoft Internet Explorer’s settings to the state, they were when the Windows OS was first installed on your system.
First, launch the Internet Explorer. Open the Tools menu (click ‘gear’ icon ). It displays the drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then click the “Internet Options”. In the “Internet Options” dialog screen, you need to press the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button like below. Once the task is complete, click “Close” button, then close the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to back your browser’s homepage, new tab page and search engine by default to default state.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to delete Search.myprivacyswitch.com redirect
Now you need to clean up the internet browser shortcuts. Check that the shortcut referring to the right exe-file of the browser, and not on any unknown file. Right click to a desktop shortcut for your browser. Choose the “Properties” option.
It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The browser hijacker can replace it. If you are seeing something like “…exe http://search.myprivacyswitch.com/” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the internet browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example as on the image below. Once is finished, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for internet browser shortcuts which redirects to an unwanted web sites. When you have completed, go to next step.
Remove Search.myprivacyswitch.com search with MalwareBytes Anti-malware.
Remove Search.myprivacyswitch.com manually is difficult and often the browser hijacker is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your PC system. Moreover, the free application will help you to remove adware and toolbars that your computer may be infected too.
Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: May 12, 2017
When the installation begins, you will see the “Setup wizard” that will help you install MalwareBytes Anti-malware on your PC.
Once installation is finished, you will see window as shown in the figure below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button to begin scanning your computer for the hijacker that cause a redirect to Search.myprivacyswitch.com. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected” button. The MalwareBytes Anti-malware will start removing Search.myprivacyswitch.com hijacker related files, folders, registry keys. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to Restart.
The following video offers a step-by-step guide on how to remove browser hijacker with Malwarebytes Anti-malware.
How to stop Search.myprivacyswitch.com startpage
To increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying ads and dangerous sites, you need to use application that blocks access to malicious advertisements and sites. Moreover, the software can block the show of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- After the download is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is complete, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, pages such Search.myprivacyswitch.com, as well as other harmful or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Get rid of Search.myprivacyswitch.com browser hijacker and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner.
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove this hijacker, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for browser hijackers, adware, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: May 20, 2017
Double click the AdwCleaner desktop icon. Once this tool is started, you will see a screen as shown below.
Further, click “Scan” button to perform a system scan for Search.myprivacyswitch.com browser hijacker infection and browser’s malicious extensions. Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will display a scan report as shown below.
Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will display a prompt as shown in the figure below.
Click “OK”. When the cleaning process is finished, the AdwCleaner may ask you to reboot your system.
When your system is started, you will see an AdwCleaner log.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for Search.myprivacyswitch.com removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with Search.myprivacyswitch.com removal.