The Links-yahoo.com web site appeared on your PC system without any notice? After that, you’re faced with the fact that your internet browser is now redirected to this unwanted pages every time when you press browser’s home button, create a new tab or perform an Internet search. The cause of all your problems with your PC is hijacker that has been installed on many systems around the world without users permission, so you’re one of many. Most probably, you don’t even know how and where this hijacker has got into your computer. In the few simple steps below, we will explain all the general features of the browser hijacker infection and it’s typical behavior on the system, as well as effective methods for manually removing it from your system.
The Links-yahoo.com browser hijacker usually affects only the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. However, possible situations, when any other web-browsers will be affected too. The browser hijacker will perform a scan of the personal computer for browser shortcuts and modify them without your permission. When it infects the internet browser shortcuts, it will add the argument like ‘http://links-yahoo.com/’ into Target property. So, each time you run the web-browser, you will see the Links-yahoo.com annoying web-site.
The Links-yahoo.com browser hijacker infection may also alter the default search engine that will virtually block the possibility of finding information on the World Wide Web. The reason for this is that the Links-yahoo.com search results may show a ton of advertising banners, links to malicious and misleading sites. Only the remaining part is the result of your search request, loaded from the major search engines such as Google, Yahoo or Bing.
We suggest you to get rid of Links-yahoo.com homepage and disinfect your PC system as soon as possible, until the presence of the hijacker infection has not led to even worse consequences. Use the guide below that will allow you to completely remove Links-yahoo.com search, using only the built-in Windows features and a few of specialized free tools.
How to Links-yahoo.com hijacker get installed onto computer
How to manually remove Links-yahoo.com
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually uninstall Links-yahoo.com search from the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge.
- Delete Links-yahoo.com associated software by using Windows Control Panel
- Remove Links-yahoo.com from Firefox
- Remove Links-yahoo.com startpage from Google Chrome
- Delete Links-yahoo.com from Internet Explorer
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove Links-yahoo.com startpage
Delete Links-yahoo.com associated software by using Windows Control Panel
First, you should try to identify and delete the program that causes the appearance of unwanted advertising links or browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Remove Links-yahoo.com from Firefox
If the Firefox settings such as home page, newtab page and search provider by default have been replaced by the hijacker, then resetting it to the default state can help.
First, start the Firefox and click button to open the Tools menu. It displays the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, click the Help button (). In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type about:support in the browser adress bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. It will show the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the Links-yahoo.com hijacker. Once, it’s done, click the “Finish” button.
Remove Links-yahoo.com startpage from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the malware and adware extensions, as well as to restore the browser’s settings that have been changed by browser hijacker.
- Open the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again. Press the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your web-browser’s start page and search provider by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Delete Links-yahoo.com from Internet Explorer
First, launch the Internet Explorer, click ). Click “Internet Options” as shown below. In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, press Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and press Reset button. You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. It will remove Links-yahoo.com hijacker, disable malicious and ad-supported browser’s extensions and restore the IE’s homepage to default state.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove Links-yahoo.com
Once installed, this browser hijacker infection may add “http://links-yahoo.com/” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. Due to this, every time you start the internet browser, it will open the unwanted home page.
Right click on the web-browser’s shortcut, click Properties option. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text “http://links-yahoo.com/” that has been added here. Remove everything after .exe. An example, for Google Chrome you should remove everything after chrome.exe. To save changes, click OK . You need to clean all web-browser’s shortcuts. So, repeat this step for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge.
How to get rid of Links-yahoo.com automatically
We recommend using the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free. You can download and install MalwareBytes Anti-malware to detect Links-yahoo.com and get rid of it, by clicking the download link below. When installed and updated, the Anti-malware will automatically scan and detect all threats present on the PC.
Category: Security tools
Update: January 25, 2017
Once installed, the MalwareBytes Anti-malware will try to update itself and when this task is finished, click the “Scan Now” button to perform a scan of your system. During the scan it will detect all threats present on your system. In order to remove all threats, simply click “Remove Selected” button. The Anti-malware is a free program that you can use to get rid of all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about the MalwareBytes Anti-malware, we recommend you to read and follow the steps or the video guide below.
How to stop Links-yahoo.com
To increase your security and protect your personal computer against new unwanted advertising links and malicious web-sites, you need to use application that blocks access to dangerous advertising and web-pages. Moreover, the software can block the open of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: August 16, 2016
- After the download is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, sites such Links-yahoo.com, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Remove Links-yahoo.com browser hijacker infection and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner.
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove this browser hijacker infection, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal utility for browser hijackers, adware, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 4, 2017
Double click the AdwCleaner desktop icon. Once this tool is started, you will see a screen as shown on the image below.
Further, click “Scan” button to perform a system scan for Links-yahoo.com infection and browser’s malicious extensions. Once AdwCleaner has complete, it will open a scan report like below.
Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will open a dialog box as on the image below.
Click “OK”. When the cleaning procedure is done, the AdwCleaner may ask you to reboot your computer.
When your PC system is started, you will see an AdwCleaner log.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for Links-yahoo.com homepage removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with Links-yahoo.com removal.