The Atajitos.com is a hijacker from the family of browser hijackers that modifies the settings of browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. It will lead to the fact that when you start a web-browser, it will always be forced to open Atajitos.com homepage, even as your homepage has been set to a completely different page. On current date, the hijacker continues to increase the number of PCs that have been infected.
A malicious software that changes the settings of browsers on Atajitos.com search usually affects only Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. However, possible situations, when any other internet browsers will be affected too. The Atajitos.com browser hijacker infection may change the Target property of web-browser’s shortcuts, so every time you start the web-browser, instead of your homepage, you will see a completely different page.
In addition, the Atajitos.com browser hijacker can also change the search engine selected in the internet browser. When you try to search on the infected browser, you will be presented with a fake search results, consisting of advertisements and Google (or Yahoo, or Bing) search results for your query. Among these search results can occur very dangerous links that lead to malicious and misleading web-sites.
Although, Atajitos.com browser hijacker is not a virus, but it does bad things, and it changes the settings of your browser. Moreover, with this browser hijacker infection, an adware can be additionally installed on to your PC, that will open a huge number of advertisements, hindering or completely blocking the work in the browser. Often such advertising may recommend to install other unknown and unwanted software or visit malicious sites. So, it’s very important to as quickly as possible to clean your system. The instructions, which is shown below, will allow you to get rid of Atajitos.com from the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge and other browsers.
How to Atajitos.com hijacker infection get installed onto computer
Probably this browser hijacker get installed onto your system when you have installed a free programs like E-Mail checker, PDF creator, video codec, etc. Because, most commonly Atajitos.com is bundled within the installation packages from Softonic, Cnet, Soft32, Brothersoft or other similar sites. Even removing this program, your browser settings will not be restored. Therefore, you must follow the guide below to restore your home page, newtab page and search provider by default.
How to manually remove Atajitos.com
This guide will help you remove Atajitos.com search. These Atajitos.com removal steps work for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge, as well as every version of Windows operating system. Some of the steps may require you to close the web-browser or reboot your system. So, bookmark or print it for later reference.
- Remove Atajitos.com associated software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to uninstall Atajitos.com search
- Delete Atajitos.com redirect from Chrome
- Remove Atajitos.com redirect from Mozilla Firefox
- Get rid of Atajitos.com homepage in Internet Explorer
Remove Atajitos.com associated software by using Windows Control Panel
First, you should try to identify and uninstall the program that causes the appearance of annoying ads and internet browser redirect to unwanted web pages, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to uninstall Atajitos.com startpage
Now you need to clean up the browser shortcuts. Check that the shortcut referring to the right exe-file of the browser, and not on any unknown file. Right click to a desktop shortcut for your internet browser. Choose the “Properties” option.
It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The hijacker can replace it. If you are seeing something like “…exe http://search.atajitos.com” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example on the screen below. Once is done, press the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for internet browser shortcuts which redirects to an unwanted web-pages. When you have completed, go to next step.
Delete Atajitos.com redirect from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the malicious and ad-supported extensions, as well as to restore the internet browser’s start page and search provider by default that have been modified by browser hijacker.
- Open the Chrome and click on the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Click the “Settings” menu.
- Click “Show advanced settings” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Click the “Reset settings” button, that located at the bottom of the Advanced settings page.
- The Chrome will open the reset settings box as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the guide How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove Atajitos.com redirect from Mozilla Firefox
If the Firefox settings such as homepage, new tab page and search engine by default have been changed by the browser hijacker, then resetting it to the default state can help.
Run the Firefox and press button to show the Tools menu. It displays the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Click on the Help button (). In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type about:support in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. It will show the confirmation dialog box. Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button. The FF will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the Atajitos.com hijacker. Once, it’s done, press the “Finish” button
Get rid of Atajitos.com homepage in Internet Explorer
To restore the start page and search provider by default you need to reset the Internet Explorer’s settings to the state, they were when the Windows OS was first installed on your PC system.
Launch the Internet Explorer. Open the Tools menu (click ‘gear’ icon ). It opens the drop-down menu on the right part of the browser, then click the “Internet Options”. In the “Internet Options” dialog screen, you need to click on the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Click on the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next press the “Reset” button. Once the task is done, click “Close” button, then close the IE. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to back your browser’s start page and search provider by default to default state.
How to delete Atajitos.com with Antimalware
Manual removal Atajitos.com redirect requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the hijacker may be not completely removed. We suggest that use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your computer. Moreover, the free programs will help you to remove malware, ad-supported software (adware) and toolbars that your PC may be infected too.
- Please download MalwareBytes Anti-malware to your desktop from the following link. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the download process is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your computer. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup.
- This will start the Setup wizard of MalwareBytes Anti-malware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Antimalware will start and show the main window.
- Click on the “Scan Now” button for the browser hijacker removal scan. It will begin scanning your PC for the hijacker which redirects your internet browser to the Atajitos.com annoying web site. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient.
- When the MalwareBytes Anti-malware has finished scanning, it will open a screen which contains a list of malicious software that has been found.
- When you are ready, click on “Remove Selected” button to begin cleaning your system. Once the process is done, you may be prompted to Restart.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to block Atajitos.com
To increase your security and protect your system against new unwanted advertising and malicious sites, you need to use program that blocks access to malicious advertising banners and sites. Moreover, the software can block the open of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2017
- After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, pages such Atajitos.com, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
If the problem with Atajitos.com is still remained
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove this browser hijacker infection, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for browser hijackers, adware, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below. AdwCleaner download
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: June 11, 2018
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for Atajitos.com browser hijacker infection.
- Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will open a scan report. Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will display a prompt. Click “OK”.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for Atajitos.com homepage removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with Atajitos.com removal.