What is search-fan.ru
Technically, the ad supported software, that shows search-fan.ru ads or redirects on this unwanted web page, is not a virus. This software is created to make a money. Once started, the adware injects a java scripts within the content of sites that you visit. These js-scripts may pop-up a new internet browser window with search-fan.ru site or insert a tons of ads directly into the pages you’re viewing.
A malicious software from the adware family that alters the settings of browsers usually affects only the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. However, possible situations, when any other browsers will be affected too. The ad supported software may change the Target property of a web-browser’s shortcut, so every time you launch the browser, instead of your home page, you will see the annoying search-fan.ru advertisements.
While your system is infected with the adware, the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge may be rerouted to search-fan.ru annoying web-site. Of course, the adware may not cause damages to your files or Windows system, but it may open a huge number of unwanted ads. These ads will be injected within the content of pages that are you opening in your browser. The advertisements can be varied: pop-up ads, in-text ads, different sized banners, offers to install an questionable software. The advertisements will appear on all pages, including web-pages where previously you have never seen any advertising. In this case, when you open any web-site, you may see in your web-browser’s status bar the following messages: ‘Waiting for search-fan.ru’, ‘Transferring data from search-fan.ru’, ‘Looking up search-fan.ru’, ‘Read search-fan.ru’, ‘Connected to search-fan.ru’.
Instructions, which is shown below, will allow you to clean your computer from the adware infection and remove search-fan.ru annoying advertisements from the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge and other web-browsers.
How does search-fan.ru advertising get installed onto computer
How to manually remove search-fan.ru
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually remove search-fan.ru popup ads from the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge.
- Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of search-fan.ru redirect
- Remove search-fan.ru popup ads from Google Chrome
- Remove search-fan.ru popup ads from Mozilla Firefox
- Get rid of search-fan.ru from Internet Explorer
Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as shown below.
Click “Uninstall a program” It will open a list of all programs. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of search-fan.ru redirect
During the installation, the ad supported software may also change the internet browser’s shortcuts, adding “http://search-fan.ru” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you start the web-browser, it will reroute to an annoying ads.
To clear the internet browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text “http://search-fan.ru” that has been added here. You need to remove it. When the text is removed, press the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your web-browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove search-fan.ru popup ads from Google Chrome
Like other modern browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thus remove the redirect to search-fan.ru unwanted advertisements which is caused by the adware.
Start the Chrome. Click on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will appear the main menu. Click on the option named “Settings”. Another way to open the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the browser adress bar and press Enter. The web-browser will open the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as shown below and click on the “Reset settings” button. The Chrome will display the confirmation dialog box. You need to confirm your action. Press on the “Reset” button. The program will start the process of cleaning and when it is finished, the browser settings including the ‘block pop-ups’ option back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your computer.
Remove search-fan.ru popup ads from Mozilla Firefox
Open the FF menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the Help button (). In the Help menu click on the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button. Confirm your action. Click on the “Refresh Firefox”.
Get rid of search-fan.ru from Internet Explorer
Open the IE tools menu by clicking on the button in the form of gear (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the “Internet Options”. In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button. You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect.
Remove search-fan.ru ads with MalwareBytes Anti-malware.
Remove search-fan.ru ads manually is difficult and often the ad supported software is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your system. The MalwareBytes Anti-malware is a reputable malware removal software. It can automatically detect and remove the adware of the your PC system. Moreover, this free software will help you to remove browser hijackers, malware and toolbars that your personal computer may be infected too. You can follow these simple steps below to eliminate the search-fan.ru unwanted advertisements completely.
Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: May 12, 2017
Once downloaded, close all programs and windows on your system. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup like below.
When the installation begins, you will see the “Setup wizard” that will help you install MalwareBytes Anti-malware on your personal computer.
Once installation is complete, you will see window similar to the one below.
Now click on the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your computer for the adware which causes the redirect to search-fan.ru web site. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected” button. The MalwareBytes Anti-malware will start to remove the adware related files, folders, registry keys. Once disinfection is completed, you may be prompted to Restart.
How to block search-fan.ru
To increase your security and protect your PC against new annoying advertisements and malicious web-pages, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous ads and web pages. Moreover, the software can block the open of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web-pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, search-fan.ru redirects, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
If the problem with search-fan.ru ads is still remained
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove the redirect to search-fan.ru advertisements, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below. AdwCleaner download
Category: Security tools
Update: August 1, 2017
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the adware that generates the search-fan.ru advertisements.
- Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will open a scan report. Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will display a prompt. Click “OK”.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for search-fan.ru ads removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the redirect to the unwanted search-fan.ru advertising.
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.