What is DuckDuckGo
Have you opened the browser and found a previously unseen site called DuckDuckGo? If you answered ‘Yes’ then your need to know that your computer is infected with a browser hijacker. The browser hijacker is a type of malicious software that changes your PC’s internet browser settings so that you are rerouted to an annoying page. You need to perform the instructions below as soon as possible to delete DuckDuckGo startpage and block the ability to penetrate the system more dangerous viruses and trojans.
Most often, the DuckDuckGo hijacker affects the most common web-browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. But such hijacker infections as well may infect another web-browsers by changing its shortcuts (adding ‘http://duckduckgo.com’ into Target field of a internet browser’s shortcut). So every time you start the web-browser, it will open DuckDuckGo startpage. Even if you setup your home page again, it is still the first thing you see when you open the web-browser will be the annoying DuckDuckGo web page.
In addition, the DuckDuckGo infection can also change the search engine selected in the internet browser. When you try to search on the infected internet browser, you will be presented with a search results, consisting of advertising and Google (or Yahoo, or Bing) search results for your query. Among these search results can occur very dangerous links that lead to malicious and misleading web-pages.
The DuckDuckGo infection is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. It changes internet browser settings and may block them from changing. Also this web-browser hijacker infection can install additional internet browser addons, extensions and modules that will open advertising and popups. And finally, the DuckDuckGo hijacker infection can collect a wide variety of personal information such as what web-pages you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This information, in the future, may be transferred to third parties. Therefore it is very important to as quickly as possible to clean your personal computer, delete DuckDuckGo homepage, as well as other malicious and ad-supported software, which could penetrate the personal computer along with it.
How to DuckDuckGo infection get installed onto system
Most commonly, the DuckDuckGo browser hijacker infection is bundled within the installation packages from a free hosting and file sharing web sites. So, install a free applications is a a good chance that you will find some bundled internet browser hijacker. If you don’t know how to avoid it, then use a simple trick. During installation, choose the Custom or Advanced installation option. Next, click ‘Decline’ button and clear all checkboxes on offers that ask you to install an unknown software. Moreover, please carefully read Term of use and User agreement before installing any software or otherwise you can end up with another unwanted software on your system such as this browser hijacker infection.
How to manually remove DuckDuckGo
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually get rid of DuckDuckGo homepage from Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge.
- Remove DuckDuckGo associated software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove DuckDuckGo
- Remove DuckDuckGo from Chrome
- Get rid of DuckDuckGo startpage from FF
- Remove DuckDuckGo search from Microsoft Internet Explorer
Remove DuckDuckGo associated software by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as shown below.
Click “Uninstall a program” It will open a list of all programs. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove DuckDuckGo homepage
Once installed, this hijacker infection may add “https://duckduckgo.com” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. Due to this, every time you run the browser, it will show the unwanted startpage.
Right click on the web-browser’s shortcut, click Properties option. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text “https://duckduckgo.com” that has been added here. Remove everything after .exe. An example, for Google Chrome you should remove everything after chrome.exe. Click OK to save changes. You need to clean all web-browser’s shortcuts. So, repeat this step for the Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge.
Remove DuckDuckGo from Chrome
Open the Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click to Settings option. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as shown below and click on the Reset settings button. Confirm your action, click on the Reset button.
Get rid of DuckDuckGo startpage from FF
If the FF settings such as homepage, new tab page and search engine by default have been changed by the infection, then reseting it to the default state can help.
Run the Firefox and press button to display the Tools menu. It displays the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Click on the Help button (). In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type about:support in the web-browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. It will display the confirmation dialog box. Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the DuckDuckGo browser hijacker infection. Once, it’s done, press the “Finish” button
Remove DuckDuckGo search from Microsoft Internet Explorer
To restore the home page, newtab page and search provider by default you need to reset the IE’s settings to the state, they were when the Windows OS was first installed on your personal computer.
Launch the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Open the Tools menu (click ‘gear’ icon ). It displays the drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then click the “Internet Options”. In the “Internet Options” dialog screen, you need to click on the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The IE will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Click on the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next press the “Reset” button. Once the task is done, click “Close” button, then close the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Restart your PC system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to back your web-browser’s start page, search provider by default to default state.
How to remove DuckDuckGo with Antimalware
Remove DuckDuckGo browser hijacker infection manually is difficult and often infection is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your PC system. Moreover, the free software will help you to remove adware and toolbars that your system may be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Category: Security tools
Update: January 25, 2017
- Close all programs and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup.
- Click Next and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is complete, click on the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your computer for DuckDuckGo infection. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected”. Once disinfection is completed, you may be prompted to Restart.
How to block DuckDuckGo
To increase your security and protect your personal computer against new annoying advertisements and malicious web pages, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous advertisements and web-sites. Moreover, the software can block the show of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web-sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: August 16, 2016
- After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, web sites such DuckDuckGo, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
If the problem with DuckDuckGo is still remained
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove this browser hijacker, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for browser hijackers, adware, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below. AdwCleaner download
Category: Security tools
Update: March 29, 2017
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for DuckDuckGo.
- Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will open a scan report. Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will display a prompt. Click “OK”.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for DuckDuckGo removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with DuckDuckGo removal.
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.