What is com-thanks.com
If the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge opens the com-thanks.com annoying page then most probably that your PC is infected with an adware. This adware changes the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge settings to open a lot of annoying ads on all sites, including web-sites where previously you advertisements have never seen. These advertisements can be varied: pop-up windows, boxes, in-text ads, different sized banners and so on. What is more, the ad supported software, that displays the com-thanks.com advertising, may cause your Internet connection to be slow or freeze your browser so that the interface is not updated anymore.
The ad supported software can change the settings of the Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, but often that a malicious software like this can also infect all types of browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user each time open the web-browser to see com-thanks.com unwanted ads.
Technically, the adware is not a virus, but it does bad things, it generates a huge number of advertisements, hindering or completely blocking the work in the internet browser. It may install other unknown and unwanted software without your permission, force you to visit malicious sites. Moreover, with the ad supported software, a browser hijacker can be additionally installed on to your computer, that will replace your startpage with an unwanted web site.
We suggest you to get rid of ad supported software and clean your system from com-thanks.com advertisements as quickly as possible, until the presence of the ad supported software has not led to even worse consequences. You need to follow the guide below that will allow you to completely remove the redirect to com-thanks.com unwanted site, using only the built-in Windows features and a few of specialized free tools.
How does com-thanks.com advertisements get installed onto PC system
How to manually remove com-thanks.com
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually remove com-thanks.com redirect from the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge.
- Get rid of suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove com-thanks.com redirect
- Get rid of com-thanks.com pop-up ads from Chrome
- Delete com-thanks.com ads from Firefox
- Remove com-thanks.com redirect from Microsoft Internet Explorer
Get rid of suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as shown below.
Click “Uninstall a program” It will open a list of all programs. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove com-thanks.com redirect
Once installed, the ad supported software may add “http://com-thanks.com” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Due to this, every time you start the web-browser, it will show the com-thanks.com annoying web-site.
Right click on the web-browser’s shortcut, click Properties option. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text “http://com-thanks.com” that has been added here. Remove everything after .exe. An example, for Google Chrome you should remove everything after chrome.exe. Click OK to save changes. You need to clean all web-browser’s shortcuts. So, repeat this step for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge.
Get rid of com-thanks.com pop-up ads from Chrome
Open the Google Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click to Settings option. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as shown below and click on the Reset settings button. Confirm your action, click on the Reset button.
Delete com-thanks.com ads from Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox settings have been changed by the adware, then reseting it to the default state can help you to remove the redirect onto com-thanks.com ads.
Run the Firefox and press button to open the Tools menu. It displays the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web-browser. Click on the Help button (). In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type about:support in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. It will display the confirmation dialog box. Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button. The FF will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the ad supported software. Once, it’s done, press the “Finish” button
Remove com-thanks.com redirect from Microsoft Internet Explorer
Open the Microsoft Internet Explorer tools menu by clicking on the button in the form of gear (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the “Internet Options”. In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will
show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button. You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect.
Remove com-thanks.com ads with MalwareBytes Anti-malware.
Remove com-thanks.com advertisements manually is difficult and often the adware is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your personal computer. The MalwareBytes Anti-malware is a reputable malware removal software. It can automatically detect and remove the adware of the your personal computer. Moreover, this free software will help you to remove browser hijackers, malware and toolbars that your PC system may be infected too. You can follow these simple steps below to eliminate the com-thanks.com unwanted advertisements completely.
Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 3, 2015
Once downloaded, close all programs and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup like below.
When the installation begins, you will see the “Setup wizard” that will help you install MalwareBytes Anti-malware on your PC.
Once installation is complete, you will see window similar to the one below.
Now click on the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your system for the adware which causes the redirect to com-thanks.com web-site. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected” button. The MalwareBytes Anti-malware will start to remove the adware related files, folders, registry keys. Once disinfection is completed, you may be prompted to Restart.
How to block com-thanks.com
To increase your security and protect your PC against new unwanted advertising and malicious web-sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous ads and web-sites. Moreover, the software can block the display of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: August 16, 2016
- After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your system, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, com-thanks.com redirects, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
If the problem with com-thanks.com ads is still remained
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove the redirect to com-thanks.com ads, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below. AdwCleaner download
Category: Security tools
Update: December 3, 2016
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the adware that generates the com-thanks.com ads.
- Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will open a scan report. Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will display a prompt. Click “OK”.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for com-thanks.com advertising removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the redirect to the unwanted com-thanks.com advertisements.
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.