When you run your web browser such as FF, Chrome, IE and MS Edge, the web-page named Default-search.net opens automatically instead of your startpage? Or this undesired web page has been set as new tab page and web-browser’s search provider ? Then most probably browser hijacker get installed on your computer. It usually get installed along with certain freeware. Do not be surprised, it happens, especially if you’re an active Internet user. But this does not mean that you should reconcile with these unwanted redirects. You need to free your PC system of malware like this hijacker infection as quickly as possible. Because the intrusive start page can be a way to infect your PC system with more dangerous malicious applications such as viruses and trojans. The step by step guide which follow, I’ll show you how to get rid of browser hijacker infection and thereby delete Default-search.net startpage from your internet browser forever.
The Default-search.net browser hijacker infection may alter internet browsers settings, but often that the unwanted software can also infect all types of browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user to see Default-search.net undesired web-page every time launch the internet browser.
Table of contents
- What is Default-search.net
- How to remove Default-search.net homepage
- Manual Default-search.net homepage removal
- Uninstall suspicious and potentially unwanted software using Windows Control Panel
- Fix infected web browsers shortcuts to remove Default-search.net
- Remove Default-search.net from Internet Explorer
- Delete Default-search.net from FF by resetting web-browser settings
- Get rid of Default-search.net homepage from Google Chrome
- How to remove Default-search.net with free programs
- Manual Default-search.net homepage removal
- Use AdBlocker to stop Default-search.net and stay safe online
- Where the Default-search.net hijacker infection comes from
- Finish words
The hijacker can also set up the Default-search.net page as the Google Chrome, FF, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge default search provider that cause search redirections via the web-page. In this way, makers of the hijacker have an opportunity to show various advertisements together with the search results for your query. These undesired advertisements will be combined in the redirected page. This can bring a large number of money for creators of the hijacker infection.
Often, the machine which has been infected with Default-search.net hijacker, will be also infected with ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) which opens a large number of various ads. It can be pop-ups, text links in the web-pages, banners where they never had. What is more, the adware can replace the legitimate ads with malicious ads which will offer to download and install malware and unwanted applications or visit the various dangerous and misleading web-pages.
We suggest you to remove Default-search.net redirect and free your personal computer of hijacker as soon as possible, until the presence of the hijacker has not led to even worse consequences. Use the step by step tutorial below that will allow you to completely remove Default-search.net startpage, using only the built-in Windows features and a few of specialized free utilities.
How to remove Default-search.net startpage
As with uninstalling adware, malicious software or potentially unwanted software, there are few steps you can do. We suggest trying them all. If you do only one part of the tutorial, then it should be use malware removal utility, because it should remove hijacker and block any further infection. But to completely get rid of the Default-search.net you’ll have to at least reset your internet browser settings such as home page, new tab and default search engine to default state, disinfect system’s web-browsers shortcuts, delete all unwanted and suspicious software, and remove hijacker with malware removal utilities. Some of the steps will require you to restart your PC or close the web page. So, read this guidance carefully, then bookmark or print it for later reference.
Manual Default-search.net removal
Most common browser hijackers may be deleted without any antivirus programs. The manual browser hijacker removal is post guide that will teach you how to remove the Default-search.net .
Uninstall suspicious and potentially unwanted software using Windows Control Panel
We recommend that you begin the PC system cleaning process by checking the list of installed programs and uninstall all unknown or suspicious software. This is a very important step, as mentioned above, very often the malicious applications such as adware and browser hijackers may be bundled with free software. Delete the unwanted software can delete the unwanted advertisements or web browser redirect.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, press the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown on the screen below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as shown on the screen below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your machine. Most likely, one or more of them are responsible for the appearance of popup ads and web browser redirect to the annoying Default-search.net site. If you have many programs installed, you can help simplify the search of dangerous software by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a suspicious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to press ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as shown in the figure below.
You will see a list of programs installed on your machine. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the programs that were installed last. Most likely they responsibility for the appearance of ads and browser redirect. If you are in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. Once the program which you need to uninstall is found, simply press on its name, and then press ‘Uninstall’ as on the image below.
Fix infected web browsers shortcuts to remove Default-search.net
Important to know, most antimalware applications that are able to remove hijacker, but unable to detect and recover modified shortcuts. So, you need to fix the desktop shortcuts for your Chrome, IE, FF and Edge web-browsers manually.
To clear the web browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text such as “http://site.address” which has been added here. You need to delete it.
When the text is removed, press the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your web-browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove Default-search.net from Internet Explorer
By resetting Internet Explorer internet browser you return your internet browser settings to its default state. This is good initial when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by browser hijacker such as Default-search.net.
First, run the Microsoft Internet Explorer, press ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as shown on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, press Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your PC system for the changes to take effect. It will remove Default-search.net hijacker infection, disable malicious and ad-supported browser’s extensions and restore the Internet Explorer’s settings such as new tab page, start page and search provider by default to default state.
Delete Default-search.net from FF by resetting web-browser settings
First, open the Firefox and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web browser. Further, click the Help button () like below
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the screen below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the Default-search.net hijacker. When, it is done, press the “Finish” button.
Get rid of Default-search.net start page from Google Chrome
Like other modern web browsers, the Google Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby restore the homepage, new tab and default search provider that have been modified by the Default-search.net browser hijacker.
- First, start the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Show advanced settings” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset settings dialog box as on the image above.
- Confirm the web-browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
How to remove Default-search.net with free programs
Manual removal instructions does not always help to completely get rid of the browser hijacker infection, as it is not easy to identify and remove components of browser hijacker and all malicious files from hard disk. Therefore, it is recommended that you run malicious software removal utility to completely delete Default-search.net off your computer. Several free malware removal tools are currently available that can be used against the browser hijacker. The optimum way would be to run Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner.
Automatically get rid of Default-search.net redirect with Zemana Anti-malware
We suggest using the Zemana Anti-malware that are completely clean your PC system of the browser hijacker infection. The utility is an advanced malicious software removal program created by (c) Zemana lab. It is able to help you remove PUPs, hijackers, ad supported software, malicious software, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your personal computer for free.
Download Zemana antimalware on your machine by clicking on the link below. Save it on your desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: April 20, 2017
When the download is finished, close all windows on your PC system. Further, start the file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as shown below, click the “Yes” button.
It will show the “Setup wizard” which will allow you install Zemana anti-malware on the personal computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, Zemana anti-malware will automatically start and you may see its main window as shown on the screen below.
Next, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the hijacker and web browser’s malicious extensions. Depending on your PC system, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the program is scanning, you can see count of objects it has identified as threat.
When it has finished scanning, it will show a list of all items detected by this utility. When you’re ready, click “Next” button.
The Zemana antimalware will start removing Default-search.net hijacker and other security threats. Once disinfection is complete, you can be prompted to restart your computer.
Run Malwarebytes to delete hijacker infection
Manual Default-search.net search removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the browser hijacker can be not completely removed. We suggest that use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your PC of hijacker. Moreover, the free application will allow you to remove malware, PUPs, ad supported software and toolbars that your machine can be infected too.
Download Malwarebytes from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: May 12, 2017
After the download is complete, close all applications and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup like below.
When the installation begins, you will see the “Setup wizard” that will help you install Malwarebytes on your computer.
Once setup is finished, you will see window like below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button for checking your computer for the browser hijacker infection that reroutes your web-browser to the Default-search.net undesired site. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient. While the utility is checking, you may see number of objects and files has already scanned.
Once the system scan is finished, you can check all items detected on your personal computer. Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will begin removing Default-search.net hijacker related files, folders, registry keys. Once disinfection is done, you may be prompted to restart your personal computer.
The following video explains guide on how to remove browser hijacker infection and other malware with Malwarebytes Anti-malware.
Scan and clean your computer of hijacker infection with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility is free and easy to use. It can scan and remove hijacker such as Default-search.net, malicious software, potentially unwanted software and ad-supported software in Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and MS Edge web-browsers and thereby return their default settings (home page, newtab page and default search provider). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and get rid of malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the PC system.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: May 20, 2017
- After the download is finished, double press the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, click “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the Default-search.net browser hijacker infection which reroutes your browser to the Default-search.net undesired page. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. During the scan it will detect all threats present on your PC system.
- Once the scanning is finished, it’ll display a list of detected items. Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will show a prompt, press “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
Use AdBlocker to stop Default-search.net and stay safe online
Run an adblocker utility like AdGuard will protect you from dangerous advertisements and content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam pages. Additionally, adblocker programs will help you to avoid annoying popup advertisements and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
- Download AdGuard application from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- After downloading is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is done, press “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will run automatically and stop popup advertisements, web-pages such Default-search.net, as well as other harmful or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
Where the Default-search.net hijacker infection comes from
After completing the tutorial above, your machine should be clean from malware and browser hijackers. The Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer will no longer open Default-search.net unwanted start page on startup. Unfortunately, if the guidance does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- When the system scan is done, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the undesired Default-search.net start page.