Security Essentials 2011 is a rogue antispyware program. This fake security program is a clone of Security Essentials 2010. Like other rogues, Security Essentials 2011 uses various misleading methods such fake security alerts, false scan results to trick your into thinking your computer in danger. The misleading tool hopes that you will next purchase its full (paid) version. Important to note, the program is a scam, thus you need remove Security Essentials 2011 as soon as possible!
Security Essentials 2011 is distributed through the use of trojans that come from fake online malware scanners and various malicious websites. When the trojan is started, it will download and install Security Essentials 2011 onto your computer without your permission and knowledge.
During installation, Security Essentials 2011 configures itself to run automatically when you logon into Windows. Once started, it will perform a scan and detect numerous infections that will not be fixed unless you first purchase the software. Of course, this is a scam, because the program is unable to detect or remove any infections. Important to know, all of these infections do not actually exist on your computer, so you can safely ignore the false scan results.
Security Essentials 2011 blocks most legitimate Windows appications, so that when you will try to run an application, your computer will display a fake security warning that states:
Running of application is impossible!
Moreover, while Security Essentials 2011 is running, you will be shown nag screens and fake security warnings from Windows task bar. Some of the warnings:
Continue working in unprotected mode is very dangerous.
Viruses can damage your confidential data and work on your
computer. Click here to protect your computer.
Intercepting programs that may compromise your privacy and
harm your system have been detected on your PC.
It`s highly recommended you scan your PC right now.
However, like false scan results above, all of these security messages are just a fake and has been displayed to trick you into purchasing so-called full version of Security Essentials 2011. You should ignore all of them!
As you can see, the misleading program wants to scare you into thinking your computer is infected with a malware as a method to trick you into purchasing its full version. Do not be fooled into buying it! Instead of doing so, follow the removal guidelines below in order to remove Security Essentials 2011 and any associated malware from your computer for free.
Symptoms in a HijackThis Log
O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [updatesst] “%UserProfile%\Application Data\Security Essentials 2011\SE2010.exe”
Automatic removal instructions for Security Essentials 2011
1. Click Start. Type in search field %AppData% and press Enter. If you use Windows XP/2000, then click Start, Run and type %AppData% in open field and press Enter.
2. It will open the contents of Roaming folder (for Windows Vista, Windows 7) or the contents of Application Data folder (for Windows XP/2000). Open “Security Essentials 2011” folder. Rename SE2010 to SE2010off or SE2010.exe to SE2010off.exe.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM). Close all programs and Windows on your computer.
5. Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
6. If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
7. Once the program has loaded you will see window similar to the one below.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Window
8. Select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan, it will start scanning your computer for Security Essentials 2011 infection. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
9. When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. You will see a list of infected items similar as shown below. Note: list of infected items may be different than what is shown in the image below.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware, list of infected items
10. Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected for start Security Essentials 2011 removal process. When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
Security Essentials 2011 removal notes
Note 1: if you can not download, install, run or update Malwarebytes Anti-malware, then follow the steps: Malwarebytes won`t install, run or update – How to fix it.
Note 2: if you need help with the instructions, then post your questions in our Spyware Removal forum.
Note 3: your current antispyware and antivirus software let the infection through ? Then you may want to consider purchasing the FULL version of MalwareBytes Anti-malware to protect your computer in the future.
Security Essentials 2011 creates the following files and folders
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Security Essentials 2011\
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Security Essentials 2011\SE2010.exe
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Security Essentials 2011.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Security Essentials 2011.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Security Essentials 2011.lnk
Security Essentials 2011 creates the following registry keys and values
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | updatesst
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon | Shell = “%UserProfile%\Application Data\Security Essentials 2011\SE2010.exe” /hide”