Cannot View Hidden Files And Folders. How to fix

As a result of viruses/trojans activity can be blocked showing hidden files. In Folder options can not take the “Show hidden files and folders” option. You choice the radio button for, then press Apply and OK, but hidden files do not be shown by windows explorer. The changes would just disappear upon opening the dialog again. Or more, no Folder Options in the Tools menu.

There are two methods to restore back the showing hidden files.
1. Manually.

• Click Start -> Run.
  • Type regedit and press OK.
  • In the left panel navigate to the following keys by expanding the + at left of each key at left:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Policies
    Explorer

• In the right panel Right click NoFolderOptions, choose “delete”. OK the prompt.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Policies
    Microsoft
    Internet Explorer
    Restrictions

• In the right panel Right click NoBrowserOptions, choose “delete”. OK the prompt.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Explorer
    Advanced
    Folder
    Hidden
    SHOWALL

• In the right panel Right click CheckedValue, choose “Edit”. This should be a DWORD key. If it isn’t, delete the key. Create a new key called “CheckedValue” as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
  • Reboot your PC.

2. Automatically.

• Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    “NoFolderOptions”=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
    “NoBrowserOptions”=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
    “CheckedValue”=-

“CheckedValue”=dword:00000001

• Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.).
  • Double-click on the fix.reg. When it asks if you would like to merge the information, press the Yes button and then the OK button when it is done.
  • Reboot your PC.

If none of the above methods work, then probably you infected with virus or trojan, that blocked of show hidden files. Then I would recommend you follow the instructions.

Related article: How to show hidden files in Windows.

November 26, 2007 on 9:49 pm | In Tips | 15 Comments |

1. I have a problem
    I have a anti Virus programe on my computer.
    But when i try to open any file says u have to insatll this ..It is very annoying.
    ieav.exe
    I dont know how to get red of this?
    Help

R

Comment by Rita — May 14, 2008 #

2. 2 Rita, please follow these steps: How to use Spyware Removal Forum

Comment by Patrik — May 14, 2008 #

3. I tried the above fix.reg but when I try to double click it, it does not ask about merging. Instead it shows and ask about the program to “Open With”.

I can nor see the hidden files. Each time I go to folder option and select “show hidden file” but the selection is back to “Do not show hidden files” the very next moment when I open Folder Option.

Please Help

Comment by Anil — June 22, 2008 #

4. Anil, just checked fix.reg, all ok on my PC.
    Probably your PC infected, please go to Spyware help forum and ask for help.

Comment by Patrik — June 23, 2008 #

5. thanks…

Comment by forum — October 25, 2008 #

6. i have tried the above solution, but i still could not view hidden files and after i shut down and turn on my computer, when i click my computer,tools then folder options and go to the view tab, the do not show hidden files and folders is being checked!
    how do i deal with it?

Comment by bluezai — October 27, 2008 #

7. Probably malware blocked the feature. Please read these instructions.

Comment by Patrik — October 27, 2008 #

8. Thanks you verymuch for your suggestion.

Comment by aes — March 21, 2009 #

9. I tried the above fix.reg but when I try to double click it, it does not ask about merging. Instead it shows and ask about the program to “Open With”.

Please Help

Comment by Homer — July 21, 2009 #

10. Homer, looks like your computer infected with autorun.inf trojan. Ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — July 21, 2009 #

11. Thank you very, the automatic way really work very well.

Comment by chakra — March 22, 2010 #

12. thanks, it really works.. great

Comment by roncorp — April 14, 2010 #

13. thanks a lot to solve my problem… i was not able to open my hidden files since long but it’s done now…

Comment by utkarsh — September 7, 2010 #

14. Thanks, worked like a charm.

Comment by oto — February 7, 2011 #

15. to show the files hidden by a malware on usb pen I’ve used this tool. It’s faster solution.
    sourceforge.net/projects/fixhiddenfilesmalware/